Hello and Welcome

 HOPE stands for Helping Other People Endure.  I pray that this website can provide those that join the HOPE community with the peace of Christ during these times of economic troubles.  The purpose of this website is to provide others with prayerful support while enduring economic challenges, job opportunity information, money saving ideas and recipes as well as a hand when needed around the house.

Friday, February 20, 2009

Recipe: Pasta with Creamy Tomato Sauce and Peas

This is a great new recipe I am adding to my repertoire. It is fast, easy, cheap, delicious and a one-dish dinner! What more could you ask for?? It comes from Good Housekeeping Vegetarian Meals, although I did not make it exactly as directed.

2 packages (9oz each) fresh (refrigerated) fettucine (I used a box of penne; I think any shape would do)
1 can (14.5 oz) seasoned chunky tomatoes for pasta (I used a can of diced tomatoes)
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce (I used half a jar of leftover pasta sauce)
1/3 cup heavy or whipping cream (I used half 'n half)
1 package (10 oz) frozen peas
freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional) (We topped it with some shredded mozzarella.)

*(I also added about 3/4 lb of ground turkey to the recipe. Any other add-ins such as sausage or onions or herbs could spice up this recipe.)

1. In large saucepot, cook pasta as label directs.
2. Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, heat tomatoes, tomato sauce, and cream to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
3. Place frozen peas in colander. Drain pasta over peas. In large warm serving bowl (I used the pot!), toss pasta and peas with tomato mixture. Serve with Parmesan if you like.

______

I think you can see the flexibility to tweak this recipe how you like it. Using a premade marinara sauce added extra flavor without any effort on my part! I usually have all these ingredients in my house, so it's also perfect for those days where it's 4:30 (or later) and I still don't know what's for dinner! I think this is also incredibly affordable, especially since pasta can be had for free with coupons, a bag of peas is less than $1 and canned tomato products are also cheap and can be bought with coupon discounts as well.

Enjoy!

1 comment: